Government Agencies

Government Agencies

The following list represents the federal and state agencies most important to individuals with disabilities and their families. The list contains short descriptions of the service each agency provides, as well as contact information. For more detailed information, please contact each agency or go to the agency’s Website. This list may change periodically to reflect modifications in some of the agencies or to include new resources.

Federal Government

Center For Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), formerly known as the Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), is the agency that governs both Medicare and Medicaid at the federal level.


Tel: 800- MEDICARE (633-4227) TDD: 877- 486-2048
Medicare is a health insurance program, administered by CMS, for people 65 years of age or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease (ESRD).
Medicare coverage is divided into two types: Part A and Part B. Part A helps pay for care in hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and hospice care. Part B helps pay for doctors, outpatient hospital care, and certain other services not covered under Part A. Please direct specific questions to your carrier.


Tel: 800-356-1561 TDD: 800-356-1561
Medicaid is a federal program that provides medical and health care to the “aged, blind, and disabled. In addition, Medicaid pays for long-term care for many people, including adults with disabilities who receive residential services from the NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD). The NJ Medicaid program is administered by the NJ Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services and covers services for individuals who meet eligibility standards.

Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
26 Federal Plaza Room, 38th floor
New York, NY 10278
Tel: 212-616-2300
Fax: 212-264-2665

Medicaid Assistance Customer Centers

Atlantic/Cape May/Cumberland Counties
Tel: 856-690-5208

Bergen/Passaic Counties
Tel: 973-977-4077

Burlington/Mercer Counties
Tel: 856-787-3855

Camden/Gloucester/Salem Counties
Tel: 856-614-2870

Essex County
Tel: 973-648-3700

Hudson County
Tel: 201-217-7100

Middlesex/Union Counties
Tel: 732-499-5700

Monmouth County
Tel: 732-761-3600

Morris/Sussex/Warren/Hunterdon/Somerset Counties
Tel: 973-631-6440